You Have a Right To:

  • Be informed of the program's rules and regulations
  • Receive considerate and respectful care.
  • Receive services without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation or source of payment.
  • Receive confidential treatment. Except for a medical emergency, court order, child abuse or crimes committed on program premises, a program generally cannot release information about your treatment without your written consent.
  • Be fully informed of your treatment plan and participate in its development. This includes setting goals and measuring progress with your counselor.
  • Refuse treatment and be told what effect this could have on your health or status in the program.
  • Discontinue treatment at any time.
  • Obtain, in writing, an explanation of the reason(s) for your discharge from treatment and information about the Program's appeal process. And, if necessary, receive help obtaining treatment at another program.
  • Avoid inappropriate personal involvement with counselors, staff or other patients. Patients have the right to be free from sexual harassment and sexual misconduc

You have the Responsibility To:

  • Act responsibly and cooperate with the staff from your program.
  • Treat the staff and other patients with courtesy and respect.
  • Respect the right of other patients to receive confidential treatment.
  • Participate in the development and completion of your treatment plan, which includes becoming involved in productive activities, such as work or school and not using drugs.
  • Pay for treatment on a timely basis, according to your means.
  • Talk with a counselor about problems that affect your treatment progress and recovery.
  • Offer suggestions on improving program operations.
  • Talk with a counselor before ending treatment; don't just Stop or leave.
  • Ask questions about any part of your treatment you don't understand

What to do if you have concerns

  • Talk with your counselor – most problems can and should be resolved with your counselor.
  • If your counselor cannot resolve the situation, talk with his or her supervisor.
  • If you still need help, talk with the Director of your program.
  • If the complaint is still not resolved satisfactorily,                                
  • You can file a complaint with the Office of the Secretary, Cabinet for Health Services, 275 East Main Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40621

.No punitive action can be taken against those in treatment for contacting the Patient Advocacy Office.